Coughing up blood after taking viagra. What could be the reason?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I took 40 mg of Viagra and am coughing up blood. I take benicar, metoropolo. Just started XXXXXXX blood thinner med
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The coughing up of blood is a serious problem and needs an immediate medical attention till the bleeding stops completely.
In your case, taking the blood thinner seems to be the most likely cause. Uncontrolled hypertension also aggravates such bleeding. You need to stop taking the blood thinner till then and consult your treating physician immediately.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
Thnaks for your reply.
FYI, the bleeding was not severe, and stopped within 8 hours.
It seems, I took a double dose of Viagra. I thought I had cut a 50 mg tablet in half, for a 25 mg dose. As it turned out, I cut a 100 mg pill in half and took 50 mg! ...Not to smart ...! I must say the sex lasted much longer than expected. I was totally fine Saturday morning and better now. Also FYI, the side effect of headache was super magnified as a result of the O.D. as well.
Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for updating me.
It is good that the bleeding stopped spontaneously. Just be careful in future.
Warm Regards.