Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Cord like vein on the penis. Causes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
i have what seems like a blocked capillary vein - it feels cord like - is more pronounced after intercourse then subsides but does not go away completely. it is situated just below the glans, under the skin on the shaft of my penis, seeming to originate from behind the frenulum. it has been on and off for a couple of years - but recently hasn't been going away. sex life normal - don't do any strange things to inflict tissue damage - if you understand...

i'm 50, in good shape, ok blood pressure and resting heartbeat of 64; no medication
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for this cord like vein on the penis but they're completely normal and they may indeed change over time.

The dorsal side of the penis has a particularly large vein. Or it can be a hardened lymph vessel rather than a vein which feels hard to the touch even when the penis is flaccid and will be more prominent during an erection.

This tends to happen following more regular or vigorous sexual intercourse.
It is good that the prominent vein is not causing any symptoms. However if it is painful or the symptoms worsen then penile varicose veins and Mondor’s disease should be ruled out.

In penile varicose vein, when you feel the vein, you will notice that it feels kind of lumpy, but not tender to touch. In Mondor’s disease, It is swelling of a veins under the skin of the breast and penis which is caused by a blood clot and is due to superficial thrombophlebitis. It can happen due to circulatory system conditions as well.

You should get a Doppler ultrasound and a physician examination done from a urologist as treatment depends on the same in such a case. The varicose vein on the penis does not require any treatment.

It may bruise during sexual intercourse and thus wearing of a condom is highly recommended. Also use of lubricants is recommended during masturbation or during sexual intercourse to avoid bruising the vein.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor