Contracted herpes simplex type 2. Is there a permanent cure?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Dr,
I contracted herpes simplex type 2 from my husband, I need to know what should I do & should I take maintenance treatment or wait & take the medicine only in case I've the symptomes. What should be my rotine to take care of my health? can herpes lead to womb cancer? is there a permenant curement? Also I've another question if I put loop to control pregnancy for sometime should my husband also use condom? how long should I put the loop or can I remove it anytime? does the loop have any side effects or do any changes in the fertility or the womb?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 33 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX,
Herpes Simplex is what i would call a pesky & irritating disease that plays more on the mind than anything else.
I have never been a big fan of maintenance therapy. I always advocate taking the treatment when the symptoms start manifesting as early as possible to 'push' the disease away slowly.
It is the same story in herpes as HIV. It is better your husband uses a condom if you dont wish to conceive as this will help prevent the 'viral load' in case he has an attack at that point & even otherwise. So i would not consider using the loop at all but please do have a chat with your gynecologist on this matter.
Herpes is not a primary cause of womb cancer & while antivirals help push the disease away, i would not say yes there is a permanent cure but it is definitely possible to keep it in check!
I would advice a heathy balanced diet & keep fit & Happy..a good immunity is your best friend & staying fit & healthy is important to live life to the fullest.
Am happy to note you have taken it so well...a battle well begun, is half won.
Wish you continued good health & a good fulfilling sex life & hope the herpes stays away permanently in time. Do hope have answered all your questions & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD