Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Constant pain in outer thighs and lower buttocks. Feels like bruise. How to treat this?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I have had constant pain in both my upper outer thighs and lower buttocks. It feels like severe bruising but no bruising is evident and I don't know of any trauma. Getting up from sitting or lying is painful and walking around and especially climbing stairs I am like an old man. I am only 46!
This has been going on for several weeks gradually getting worse.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.

From description buttock and Outer Thigh Pain seems due to the Hip Joint arthritis.
Arthritis of the hip joint is somewhat common later in life, and occasionally occurs earlier when there has been considerable stress to the joint or when the socket is especially shallow. These forms of arthritis are due to wear that destroys the smooth cartilage that lines the joint. Hip arthritis may also develop as part of broader inflammatory conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and ankylosing spondylitis.
I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.
Meanwhile for pain relief take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
Hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor