Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Chronic ringing in ears with pressure, pain, neck tenderness. Tests showed retention cyst. Could that be a cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
For nearly a year I have had increasing trouble with ringing in my right ear, ear pressure, ear pain and neck tenderness. I have been in several times to an ENT to be told that tinnitus is very common and there isn't much that can be done. After increasing complaints, in an attempt to alleviate the symptoms they installed an ear tube even though I don't have eustachian tube dysfunction. The symptoms increased terribly and the tube was removed. After that, the ringing remained but in addition I started having a swooshing sound that seems to be synced with my heartbeat. After a few debilitating headaches I was referred to a neurologist and an MRI of the brain was ordered, but I don't think it included my neck. There were no findings except: "Small polypoidal density noted in the right maxillary antrum question retention cyst XXXXXXX Could a retention cyst be causing these symptoms? I have never had any sinus issues ever. I am not sure if it is worth noting or not, but a year ago I fell off a porch and luckily I fell onto a tree that hung me up, but my the back of my head did hit a rock and I had a concussion. Also about 2 years ago while riding my bike I suffered a blowout fracture of my right orbit, near the inside corning of my eye pushing the bone into my sinuses.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Thankyou for writing to XXXXXXX

After reading your query I can conclude that you have two issues.
Both can be interrelated
Ear symptoms can be because of recurrent episodes of fluid getting filled in middle ear. That is why your ENT specialist has installed a tube in your ear drum. It can be related to the infection in sinuses that is why you are getting a retention cyst in right maxillary antrum.

All these findings may NOT be interrelated.
You had an MRI which was normal in relation to brain.That is good.
What you should do--
Get done a Pure tone Audiometry (hearing test) and Impedence audiometry to rule out fluid behind ear drum, Hearing loss(as age related hearing loss is one of the reason for hearing abnormal sounds or tinnitus).
If there is hearing loss then few more tests can be done and cause of tinnitus can be looked for .

Next you need to get done a CT scan Nose and Paranasal sinus to see the sinus disease and rule out Imploding antrum which could occur because of the trauma and as you said ---"inside corning of my eye pushing the bone into my sinuses".
But this imploding antrum does not usually cause ear problems.

Do consult an ENT specialist and get yourself investigated.
Till then you can start with Decongestant Nose drops and Antihistaminics and decongestant tablets after consulting with your ENT specialist , but do get your blood pressure checked.

To prevent worsening of tinnitus --
Avoid listening to loud music
Avoid places with loud noise
Do not blow your nose hard specially during cold
Do not put oil in ears or do not try to clean your ears with pins ,or sharp objects.
Avoid eating ice creams
Avoid some medicines like salicylates,Aspirin ,Quinine,Erythromycin etc
Get your Blood pressure checked and if high take appropriate medicines
Get your Blood sugars checked

You can report back after investigations
Get well soon
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor