Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Chronic ankle pain. No relief after treatment. Facing difficulty to walk. How to get rid of this?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hello Doctor,

I have been in chronic pain for years after my right ankle became trapped between the floor

of a barn and concrete pathway.

My foot was twisted round my weight went left, right (a Crack) and I went down on the ground in agony.

At the time I could not bear weight, it was swollen and bruised from my toes to my knee.

I was taken to A&E and was told it was the ligamnets.

Subsequently I had an operation to repair the ligaments and whilst in plaster my ankle was

comfortable and able to get about on crutches but I also had a thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.

After the plaster was removed the pain was still present and became worse the more I used it.

I have had x rays, an MRI Scan, injections, physiotherapy, TENS Machine, accupuncture,

creams, tablets and probably some other treatment but sadly the pain persists.

Over the years I've suffered falls and stumbles including several that made my pain worse. One last year
where I went over on my ankle caused an increase in the pain and instability which caused more
stumbles and falls.

Another bad fall increased the pain to cover my entire foot, lower leg and I was struggling
to walk. I found it difficult to move my ankle and toes which were not moving as far as they should or had
I was awoken one night with a pounding in my right leg which left me with some strange feelings in
both legs.
Several weeks later I lost movement altogether in my right ankle and toes.

One night my foot gave way with a crack sending a red hot pain down my leg
into my foot which I was unable to put weight on at the time. I heard what sounded like a twang in my foot
and it felt as though my foot was being stabbed with a sword and still feels the same.

My leg felt like it was being squashed and tightened with some kind of pressure build up
which is very uncomfortable making me giddy and short of breath. This pressure can build up in a
normal sitting position, standing, walking or even lying down. I've found I can relieve it by sitting
with my leg raised.

The pain is a constant stabbing,like with a sword, my foot feels cold sometimes, I am unable to move my ankle
or toes. I have a numbness, tingling, pins and needles, stabbing in my foot which at times feels like
it is being crushed.

I am in constant agony because the pain does not subside and am struggling to walk due to the stabbing
pain in my foot.

Thank you

Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query

From description it seems you might suffering from chronic instability of the ankle from old rupture of ligament.
It should first be treated conservatievly if symptomatic.Applying a lateral wedge to the shoe heel will help you a lot. A laced leather or neoprene ankle corset or stirrup brace may help, especially for walking on irregular surface s or engaging in strenous activities.
In sport activities , high-top athletic shoes or taping of ankle for chronic instability may be beneficial.
For severe disability or instability a muscle strengthenig program should be tried for several months. When disabling pain and instability persists, however, reconstruction of lateral ligaments should be considered.

Hope this will be helpful to you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you speedy recovery.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor