Suggest treatment for foot and joints pain due to vitamin-D deficiency

Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: This is XXXX, I used to suffer with leg foot pains earlier in 2013, had researched about the pain and thought that it could be because of flat foot.So, started using orthopedic support gel shoe. Even then, I was suffering with pain whenever i stressed much. After sometime, I approached doctor and went through all the tests x-ray, MRI etc., Finally, come to know that Vitamin D is 8 (deficient). Went through following medication for 5 months.
1) Vitamin D3 Capsules 60,000 IU D-LIQ Caps week-1
2) TRINERVE 0-1-0
3) TRYPTOMER 10MG 0-0-1
4) UPCAL 1-0-1
While using this medication, felt sudden joint/body pains. so, went through the tests again Vit-D is 110 which is outside the range.so, doctor suggested me to stop taking medicines in October 2014.
Now, again am feeling foot pains. so, i went through tests in my nearest diagnostic center. Now, Vit-D is at 25 (Insufficient).

Please let me know what is the permanent solution for this?
Any natural methods where i could gain sufficient vitamin-D? Trying to expose to morning sun.
What could be the root cause for this problem?
If there is no permanent resolution , let me know how frequently I should check vitamin D levels in order to maintain needed levels?
Let me know if any suggestible medication based on the latest report?
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take regular maintenance dose

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

The answers to your questions:

1. You were given the weekly vitamin D to correct your deficiency. This should be followed by maintenance dose of vitamin D - 60,000 iu every month for 4 months followed by every 2 months there after

2. Natural source of vitamin D is very less to correct insufficiency. Morning sunlight exposure has less vitamin D source. The ideal time for sun exposure for vitamin D is from 11 am to 3 pm, which is not always practical

3. Once started on replacement, we repeat vitamin D levels after 6 months. If sufficient, we repeat it annually.

4. Based on the latest report , you can replace Vitamin D 60,000 once in 2 weeks for 2 months followed by monthly dose x 4 months and repeat the tests after 6 months.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Endocrinologist