Owl Image

Child with high temperature and cough. Not getting cure by nurefen. Looking for advice

Owl Image
Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Question
Hi Doctor,

My 2 year old daughter has had a on and off high temperature for 2 days, readings between 37 & 39 c. originallly started with a slight bout of caughing and loook ed normal bu t with high temperature. We started her on nurefen to reduce the temperatire today 3hreetimes a day. the last one was given before bedtime, however i woke up and childs temperature is istill around 37.4 c and is nw starting to shivere on and off. What advise can you give on this please? XXXXXXX
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

Upper respiratory tract infection can be associated with high fever. Whenever the fever rises fast one can shiver till the fever stabilizes. You can give your daughter acetaminophen syp. 5 ml. 4-6 hourly if the temperature is above 37.3C. If cough is persisting then some decongestant syrup can be given.

Another cause of fever can be urine routine examination.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to give more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK