Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Child suffers with constipation, bad breath. Suggestive treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1793 Questions
Hi, my son is 6 years old, suffers from constipation and very bad breath. Have consulted few doctors but no successful treatment. Pls advice
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Constipation does cause bad breath as the toxic gases accumulate and can ascend up to cause putrefied odor.

If your child is growing well , most likely cause of constipation would be dietary and functional.
Ensure he eats adequate quantities ( three servings of vegetables XXXXXXX in fibre like radish, carrot, green leaves, etc NOT POTATOES), of vegetables and fruits ( 2-3 bananas ,seasonal fruits like water melon, papaya, XXXXXXX etc EVERYDAY)

Ensure he drinks at least 2 litres of water everyday. Don't give too many oily, packed foods, chocolate, etc. Make sure he does some physical activity everyday like running, swimming etc

And most important make sure he sits in the toilet seat for at least 15 minutes ( even if there is no stool output ) everyday.

Finally laxatives as many doctors would have suggested but only for short duration.

Hope this helps
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor