Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from borderline autism, body balancing, hypo perfusion in bilateral cerebellar regions. Can I go for stem cells therapy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 504 Questions
Dear doctor, my child is suffering from borderline autism, body balancing, hypo perfusion in right temporal and bilateral cerebellar regionsCan I go for stem cells therapy
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 34 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the clinical details provided it looks like your child is suffering from autism and ataxia. Ataxia is a non-specific clinical manifestation implying dysfunction of the parts of the nervous system that coordinate movement, such as the cerebellum. Reduced perfusion in the cerebellum indicates ataxia is due to problems in the cerebellum and its connections.

PET scan in children suffering from autism often shows hypo-metabolism in the temporal regions. However the relationships between these temporal abnormalities and the perceptive, cognitive, and emotional developmental abnormalities are not very clear and is still under evaluation.

Regarding the stem cell therapy in autism and cerebellar disorders, most studies are only in the research phase and at present there are no recommendations for its use for clinical purpose. The recent advances in the field of stem cell therapy is promising and would be a reality in the future.

My recommendation would be for you to wait till we see some promising results about stem cell therapy. Till then do continue on available treatment for autism and physiotherapy for ataxia.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.


Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor