Child having pain in chest muscle. Could this be due to the growth plate developing?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son was 15 last month. He is approx 5ft9' weighing 59kg
He is very fit & plays a lot of sport including Aussie Rules Footy & surfing. He is a good athlete but is yet to develop any chest muscles & is quite slim. I have recently noticed that next to his sternum on the left, he has a protruding bone which comes out just above his chest & curves back in parallel to his stern at the bottom of his chest. It is quite distinct from
his right side. Could this be a growth plate developing quicker than the right side? It is not
painful but noticeable. I would appreciate any light you can shed on this
many thanks!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
The mild protrusion on the chest wall on one side that you have noticed is likely to be due to difference in the growth of the bones most likely due to a Vitamin D3 deficiency.
He needs to have calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements after a proper assessment from an orthopedician.
At the same time, you need to give him proper diet XXXXXXX in Vit D like fish, liver, and processed milk.
Regarding vitamin D levels, he needs to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. But these should be taken only after getting the vitamin D levels checked.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
Hi Dr, thanks for your response.
Looking at causes for Vit D deficiency does not match my son. He gets plenty of sunshine, heaps of Calcium in his diet & has excellent diet of Vit D foods including fish, meat & XXXXXXX leafy vegs & fruit.
He has no symptoms of Vit D deficiency & is one of the best sportsman in his district. Could there be another explanation, growth plates? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the vitamin D3 deficiency is ruled out then the growth plate growth is the most likely cause of the chest wall deformity.
A direct clinical examination is an integral part of such a diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.