Suggest dosage for vitamin D

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Low votamim d of 20 after 8 weeks of 50k ui it went done from 26 how can this happen on such a high dose
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Decreased absorption

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. if you have been taking vitamin d by mouth then this is probably due to decreased absorption of the doses you have been taking .. Meaning that your body have not been utilizing these supplements well. To increase the absorption and utilization of the consumed vitamin d supplements you need to chose a preparation that contains vitamin d3 ( cholecalciferol ) in an oily form as it is a fat soluble vitamin.. Also you need to take it at night for better effect and you need to take it with food preferably a rather fatty meal. I hope you find this helpful..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 19 minutes later
What dose is acceptable and how long to get levels normal what's the dif from d2 and d3 is. 20 very low or dangerous any symptoms at that level
Brief Answer:
Active form

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. vitamin D3 is the active form of vitamin D while vitamin D2 is in active and is not capable of raising your blood level of vitamin D effectively. The recommended dose is 50,000 IU of vitamin D3 once a week for eight weeks or its equivalent of 6,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily to achieve a blood level of 25(OH)D above 30 ng/ml, followed by maintenance therapy of 1,500-2,000 IU/day.. I hope you find this helpful..