Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Child has red and swollen ear with fluid discharge. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14959 Questions
My 8 yr old daughter has goo cumin out of here ear and loads of dirty wax the bck of her ear is very red and swollen what do I do?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds like your daughter has otitis externa which is inflammation/infection of the auricle and external ear canal.
Children can also have otitis media which is inflammation/infection of the middle ear but this is usually associated with fever, associated cold symptoms and , on examination, changes in the ear drum.

Otitis externa presents with the symptoms and signs you have described- pain, swelling and discharge. Some persons may also complain of itching, hearing loss and ringing in the ear.
It is treated by - (1)pain medication (if you have children's panadol or advil available for her you can use that)
(2) the debris in the ear is normally removed by a doctor. This would allow the other medication ,which is placed in the ear, to work better.
(3)antibiotic/ mild steroid drops which may be available over the counter.The steroid aspect helps to reduce the inflammation in the ear.
These are used for at least a week in most cases, your doctor may suggest an alternative time period based on his or her examination findings.

In addition to the above, it is best to keep the ear try during the course of treatment. If she is involved in swimming, she would need to avoid it for at least 2 to 3 days and following that she would need to keep her head above water until the treatment is completed.

i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor