Owl Image

Child has pneumonia, dark and painful spots on belly button. Is this serious?

General Surgeon
Question
My 5 year old son has dark colour in his belly button and says it hurts when you touch it. He has had pnemonia and c diff so im worried this may be serious.
Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Dark and painful belly button can indicate umbilical hernia. Especially if the pain aggravates when coughing. You can perform simple test. Put your finger on his belly button and ask your son to cough, if you find some movable lump under your finger the hernia it is.
If there is some discharge from his belly button it can be persistent urachus. Urachus is a connection between fetal cord and fetal urinarry bladder and should disappear after the birth. In some cases it does not causing umbilical discharges and pain.
To diagnose both, hernia and urachus, abdominal ultrasound should be performed.
This is nothing urgent as long as vomiting or strong abdominal pain does not appear.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.