Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Child got injured while cleaning ear wax, discharge from wax, bleeding. What can I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
i was cleaning out my 4 year old sons ears with an qtip, and it got way too far in and it hit him, he screamed when that happened......he cried for a loong time....and now when i see theres discharge from wax and it's kinda bloody, it's very liquidy...soo i'm wondering should i take him to my family dr.? or what can i do at home?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
You might have accidentally injured his tympanic membrane or ear drum causing XXXXXXX blood oozing or serous discharge.
At present you should avoid applying or inserting anything in that ear and take him to your family doctor or preferably an ear nose throat surgeon (ENT specialist) for ruling out a traumatic tear of tympanic membrane and if required appropriate ear drops for pain and discharge.
It's best not to fiddle with it anymore unless the doctor has assessed the nature and severity of the injury.
If a minor tear or abrasion its likely to resolve on it's own but still might needs antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection.
So kindly seek prompt consultation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor