Owl Image

Child got head injury, having diarrhea and feeling dizzy. What precaution should be taken?

Question
Hi, my 6-year old daughter had a bump on her left mid lobe (above her ear tip) at her school playground on one of the play structures - hard enough to require icing, but no noticeable head injury symptoms noticed. She had loose stools this afternoon - about 4 hours after the bump - has not had diarrhea before, no flu symptoms either. She says she is dizzy when she walks but seems to be going about normal activities - even jump roped. It is now about 7 hours, and she is normal otherwise. What precautions do i need to take or look out for as we head into the night. Thanks.
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I understand your concern regarding the injury to your daughter, but it seems there is nothing to worry.
Loose stools have no relation with the head injury.
Slight dizziness is expected after a head bump.
Just keep a watch on her and look for signs like
Severe headache not improving with analgesic 
Vomiting more than 3 to 4 times
Having a seizure
Unsteady gait
Constantantly feeling dizzy
Drainage of any fluid or blood from nose or ear

If none of the above things take place then you are sure that everything is alright.
However if any of above mentioned symptoms take place,you must then go to ER for examination as it could be a sign of pressure building inside the brain.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks