Child feeling tired, have uncontrolled thirst and runny nose. Urine test normal. What's wrong?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Question: If someone has an almost unquenchable thirst, extremely tired and a bit of a runny nose, what could the problem be?
It is about my daughter, she is 15. We had a urine test this morning and it showed up nothing wrong. Just seems strange with her thirst.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Hello

Uncontrolled thirst in children is usually one of the first few warning signs of diabetes mellitus .
Other symptoms would include excessive hunger, weight loss, frequent urination, fatigue etc.
Rare cause for excessive thirst could be syndrome of inappropriate ADH secretion.
You need to consult your physician to screen for these two conditions.

Extreme exhaustion, stress, dehydration, working in a condition where she sweats excessively , could be other benign reasons.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Is the screening done via a blood test?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 0 minute later
Yes dear
The screening is done via blood tests.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Thank you kindly. I will take her to have that tested. She is sleeping at the moment and has already drunk 3 litres of water, so is of course running to the toilet too.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Yes its not normal to have so much thirst.
Please get her investigated.
Feel free to get back for further questions anytime.
All the best.