Chest pain, fullness in throat and anxiety while doing exercise. What should be done?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Just had a stent. Dr put me on metoprol 50 mg. When exercising i have a moderate level of chest pain, a fullness in my throat and a feeling of anxiety. what should i do. scareing the hell out of me
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 minute later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Chest pain may mean a problem with the stent.
Though not common, immediate / early problems can occasionally occur – from dissection, thrombosis and so on...

You should see your doctor.
You will need EKG and cardiac makers.
A thallium exercise stress test may help to assess the ischemia, if present.
If in doubt, angiography may have to be done.

Don’t panic.
It is treatable.
Your doctor can solve it.
Seeing him, rather than waiting and guessing.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Thanks, doc. This info really helps. Is the final solution to ischema a pacemaker if I cant tolerate the metoprol. If my heart left ventrical needs to pump more blood to my heart for the heart to receive more oxygen, why am I taking a medication that reduces my heart rate to 50 or below. I dont understand that logic.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Cardiac markers are enzymes – blood tests to detect damage to the heart muscle.
There was a typing error before – cardiac marker not maker. Sorry for the spelling mistake.

A pace maker is a machine to regularise the heart beat.
It is implanted for disorders of heart rhythm (usually a slow rate) / rarely for heart failure
Pacemaker is not a solution for ischemia.

If one can not tolerate any drug, it should and it can be changed...
There are a few other beta-blockers / some selective – eg. Nebivolol.
There are also other classes of drugs that can help.

There are two periods in each heart beats – diastole (filling) and systole (pumping).
In slow rates (up to a limit), there is more time to fill the chambers and more volume could be pumped..
Also, with faster rates, there is less time to fill the coronaries (blood vessels supplying the heart).
Hence the help from beta blockers. Their benefits have been proved beyond doubt in several studies.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck