Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Cause of cysts on penile shaft and treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
I have cyst like areas on my penile shaft. I am trying to determine if they are in fact cysts or if I have something like molluscum contagiosum. If they are cysts, why are they occuring and how can I stop them? I have attached photos.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Viral infection molluscum contagiosum Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . I have seen the attached pictures . You seem to have developed lesions of mollusctm contagiosum. You must be aware that this is a viral infection and needs to be immediately managed to prevent it's further spread. I would advise you to see a local doctor soon for its management and also exercise adequate contraception to prevent it's spread to your partner. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Cause of cysts on penile shaft and treatment? 19 hours later
I have an appointment to see my doctor on Thursday. It was the earliest I could get an appt. What precautions can I take until then? Should I watch the area or just rinse with water? I do want to spread the infection further. Also, I have read that tea tree oil can be helpful in the healing process? I have used tea trea oil soap in the past and thought this may be an option in addition to treatment.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer: General precautions Detailed Answer: HI again You can clean the affected area with a normal soap and water. Try not to scratch the lesions . Use adequate contraception . Tea tree oil when used alone is not very effective in adults. So I would not recommend you to use the same. Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor