Can you get pregnant a week after an early abortion?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I keep getting different answers. Can you get pregnant a week after a early abortion
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Getting pregnant just a week after an abortion is not likely. After an abortion it takes 4-6 weeks for the ovulation to return. So just after an abortion it is less likely. In case your periods are delayed it is best to test urine for pregnancy.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
I took a test it's positive I was told from my doctor that a female can ovulate at anytime after a abortion and that you are very fertile just like after giving birth or a miscarriage. So I went to take a blood test
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the test is strongly positive and there is a gap of at least 3 weeks between the abortion and the fresh test then a new pregnancy is likely. A rising blood HCG titres will help in confirmation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.