Can wine be consumed while treating hepatitis-C?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm taking harvoni for hep c no liver damage is it o k to have a glass of red wine ? XXXX@YYYY.com
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Being a well-wishes would advise against it sir :)

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. First of all, I am really proud of you for asking this question unlike most individuals who just do as they wish and not really worry about the consequences of their actions.

You should know that while having hep C, even drinking a low amount of alcohol can cause a low viral load to reach far higher values which can cause liver damage. I am sure you are not an alcoholic which is why you know how to control your alcohol, and have posted this question in the first place. So I am sure you should be able to keep off the alcohol at least until the hep C treatment is complete.

So being a well-wisher and a doctor, I would advise against even a small amount of alcohol, be it one glass of red wine. I hope and pray you recover soon and completely. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan