Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Can uranium toxicity cause painful bones and fibromyalgia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1563 Questions
How do I prove my illness was caused exposurDe ? My father was a uranium miner. I have fibromyalgia, spinal stenosis, holes in my diaphragm, scares on my lungs, thyroid problems, painful bones especially on my feet. my doctors don't want to talk about uranium poison.
What doctor will write a letter stating that my illnesses are caused by my contact with Uranium. My father brought uranium home in his work clothes and dust on his lunch box from working in underground uranium mines.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is challenging to prove

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.

Uranium toxicity causes kidney damage and some issues with the bones. Other symptoms that you have written may be due to some chromosomal damage during fetal stage.

The test would be to look for chromosomal aberrations consistent with uranium poisoning.
If we want to look for extra uranium in your body, then the following tests can be done. It does deposit in bone. That is one way to check for it, but is invasive. It gets excreted in urine, thus urine can be examined for presence of uranium. Blood tests for heavy metals can be done. Hair uranium levels also reflect body uranium levels.

The specialists that can help you are medical toxicology specialists, public health doctors, fetal medicine doctors, research doctors working on the topic, etc

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor