Can uranium toxicity cause painful bones and fibromyalgia?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Question: How do I prove my illness was caused exposurDe ? My father was a uranium miner. I have fibromyalgia, spinal stenosis, holes in my diaphragm, scares on my lungs, thyroid problems, painful bones especially on my feet. my doctors don't want to talk about uranium poison.
What doctor will write a letter stating that my illnesses are caused by my contact with Uranium. My father brought uranium home in his work clothes and dust on his lunch box from working in underground uranium mines.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is challenging to prove

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Uranium toxicity causes kidney damage and some issues with the bones. Other symptoms that you have written may be due to some chromosomal damage during fetal stage.

The test would be to look for chromosomal aberrations consistent with uranium poisoning.
If we want to look for extra uranium in your body, then the following tests can be done. It does deposit in bone. That is one way to check for it, but is invasive. It gets excreted in urine, thus urine can be examined for presence of uranium. Blood tests for heavy metals can be done. Hair uranium levels also reflect body uranium levels.

The specialists that can help you are medical toxicology specialists, public health doctors, fetal medicine doctors, research doctors working on the topic, etc

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee