• question-icon

Can untreated gonorrhea during pregnancy lead to miscarriage?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I just tested positive for gonorrhea. My partner is 7 weeks pregnant.

She is going to her doctor tomorrow, but I know there are some doctors who will provide medicine when there is risk of exposure (one time a doctor gave me antibiotics to get rid of chlamydia even though I never had a test for it, but I told him my partner at the time was positive).

She leaves out of the country for a two week vacation on Sunday. I'm just worried that they won't give her medication and instead ask her to test for it, which takes days, and we don't have days. I'm just hoping the doctor sees that there is a serious risk and give her the necessary shot and medicine beforehand, because I know if untreated for a long time it can lead to miscarriage.

My gonorrhea was misdiagnosed, twice. I went to one doctor who said I tested positive for a UTI. The symptoms went away, but then two weeks later they came back. Once again I was told that I have a UTI, then I was given Bacitrim I believe.

I could have had this treated 30 days ago if diagnosed correctly and I asked the doctors if this could be something else and they assured me it wasn't.

I'm now worried that their misdiagnosis may have caused permanent harm to me (internally) and my partner, maybe even a possible miscarriage in the coming weeks.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Talk directly to the doctor tomorrow.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through the entire details provided. High risk sexual behavior has its own negatives and at this point of time you are face to face with it. You could perhaps think of reorienting yourself in terms of sexual habits and partners involved.

Anyway, coming to the main issue, doctors are reasonable persons and I think that tomorrow you should accompany your partner to the doctor and separately discuss the matter with the doctor. Also show the doctor your reports and that will help him make the right choice. I am sure that he would prescribe accordingly.

Do not panic. I am sure that the matter will be handled well.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha