Can surgery for cartilage damage in knee be delayed?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Hi

I am 32 year old and having cartilage damage in left knee due to this I got problem in walk and having pain. I also gain weight 110 kg due to this . My doctor suggest me surgery , should I got for this or there any alternate solution . Please suggest about it.

I have my MRI report recently of you want then I can send that online.

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery can be delayed.

Detailed Answer:
The damaged cartilage is due to a degenerative change in the knee joint. If there is no ligament injury then immediate surgery is not needed.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist. Losing a few kilos will also help.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
All these measures will help in decreasing the degenerative changes and will delay the need for surgery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Hi

I was doing consultant from medanta doctor and having MRI consideration. So I forwarded you my recently MRI report , so for what time i can delayed for surgery and will it be good to delay surgery if there are not any other cure option

Currently i was taking medicine Rejoint and axonac sp , DFO gel for local heat and doing physio exercise . So please suggest , should i change in these medicine or any other things to recover it.

Should i go for some more laboratery test like thyroid and vitamin D , as my doctor suggest for these test before 6 month and i found vitamin d as very low so i was taking medicine for that.

I was doing exercise and having very low diet but my weight not reducing.

Please suggest me complete treatment so i can go for running and play the outdoor games. I am missing these all . Please help me .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the attached reports. You are getting the right treatment. The surgery will not replace the degenerated cartilage. It is best to continue the conservative treatment as long as possible. Surgical treatment is considered as the last option. It is best to retard the progression of these changes with regular physiotherapy.
Repeat Vitamin D3 levels are needed after you have completed 8 weeks of intensive Vitamin D3 supplements.
Do consult a dietician for controlling your weight.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.