Can sucking breast cause any STD?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: i went to a massage therapist.i sucked her breast for not more than a 30 sec...i felt sweet taste in it..i m not sure wether i took a drop of milk or anything ..may be i might have swallowed a drop ..i was immediately scared due to this and within few minutes i left the place.. ...will i get infected by hiv or any kinda std..i dont have any wound or sore or cut or anykind of opening inside my mouth..and i checked it with my family doctor by asking him to check wether i have any cut,sore or any opening in my mouth on that very same day..
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later

Penetrative sex is has more risk than any other type of sex play. Sucking a breast for few seconds is not at all at risk for HIV.

If we presume that she is HIV positive and lactating woman too, then also sucking the milk once for a few seconds will not be infectious as the concentration of HIV particle in breast milk is very, very low. Only continuous breast feeding for a year is infectious to the baby and here the chance for HIV transmission is 25-30 %. So in your case, I do not see any reasons to predict HIV transmission.

As far as other sexually transmitted disease is concerned, the event is not significant enough to induce any form of STD's.

Moreover to attract the customers the massage parlour girls would have applied some sweetening agents over their nipple which is not harmful for anybody.

So your fear for HIV and STD's is baseless; you can relax as well.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 21 hours later
Today I spokw with that massage grl and convinced her . took her to test . I got the report now. It says hiv 1 and 2 anti body detection : non reactive(0.212)
Referece range : .300..... I askd the scan centre they told me to ask the doctor..
So I masking u .. is the report fine...????
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Pleased to answer your follow up question.

Yes, you are absolutely safe and there is nothing to worry at all.

Her HIV test is nonreactive means that she is not having the HIV antibodies indicating the disease at present. Do not bother to read the cut off value or reference range of the test. It is negative for HIV.

That is more accurate if her last sexual contact is more than three months. If it is within three months, it has to be repeated once again.

As I told already even if she is reactive for HIV, then also just sucking of breast for few seconds is not infectious. However, as this girl is HIV negative, you doubly assure that you are not likely to get HIV through this contact.

Therefore, you are safe.

You can relax.

Dr S. Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Thank u doctor...I was so strssed and now I feel back to normal again

...hats of to ur detailed and clear answer...thank u doctor.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
You are welcome...

In future, avoid any risky behaviour and always stick to safe sex when you have sex with an unknown partner or a new known partner.

If you don't have any more queries let us close this discussion. I would appreciate your feedbacks.

Good day to you.

Dr S.Murugan