Can sperm count decrease suddenly? Can pus cells cause decrease in sperm count and motility?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Question: hello doctor,

I am a 33 year old male and have got tested for my sperm count 5 times since the last 2 years and every time my sperm count was above 80 million (sometimes even 95 million) with 60 % to 80 % motility and my last test was on 20th feb,2013
I went for IUI on 24th may 2013 i.e yesterday and my sperm count is 35 million with 50 % motility and also i have pus cells 9 hpf which were NIL in my last test.

can sperm count decrease in 3 months?
can pus cells decrease motility and count?
can i have sex with my wife even if i have pus cells as i am afraid she might get some infection?

also my last question is how long can sperm stay alive in incubator?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 31 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Yes, sperm count can be decreased in 3 months because of many reasons like stress, cycling and change in life style.
Yes, pus cells may decrease motility and count of sperm.
You can have sex with your wife with condom (barrier method) so you can prevent her from infection.
Sperm can alive for a week when store in lower temperature and for a year when semen is frozen.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have further questions I will be happy to help.
Dr.Richa

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 21 minutes later
thanks a lot for the reply doctor

But will my sperm count increase also in the same manner?

also can pus cells go away with antibiotics?

also i know sperm can be alive for a long period if frozen,
but can it stay alive in an incubator (it is i guess temp 37 degree in incubator) for more than 12 hours?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 25 minutes later
Yes, your sperm count can increases in the same manner and you can go for the repeat count after 3 months.
Pus cells can be cured with a course of antibiotics.
Sperm can be alive in an incubator up to a week if the temperature is low.
If you do not have any clarification you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Richa
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 minutes later
thanks doctor,

i got the answer but one last question

if the temperature of incubator is human body temperature i.e 37 degrees then how long can sperm survive in it?
as i gave sample at night and they did IUI in morning?

also i want to add that the sperms were in plastic container?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 18 minutes later
Sperm can survive up to a week in an incubator at 37 degrees temperature. So you don't worry your sperm will survive for IUI in morning. I think lab gave you that plastic container for semen collection so you don't worry about that also.
Good luck.
Dr.Richa