Can running or walking cause neuropathy to worsen?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Can running or walking cause your neuropathy condition to worsen? I've been dealing with buring feet for a couple of years now, and when i tried to run a 2.5 mile run i had to stop because my feet began to burn and ache with pain. Now im noticing that the pain ache and burning is more constant. Can neuropathy deteriorate further do to running? Can it also alternate to freezing pain?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Need more information

Detailed Answer:

Kindly answer the following to comment further and advise accordingly

Are you aware of a possible cause for the neuropathy symptoms that you mentioned or is it idiopathic meaning that no cause is known for it

Have you taken supplementation of vitamin B12 for this purpose

Have any nerve conduction studies been done to document the nature and distribution of the neuropathy/demyelination

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 41 minutes later
At this point they have not found a cause for the nerve pain. B12 levels are good. Blood test are all normal and nerve conduction test are fine. My doctor said it's small fiber so it many not be detactable yet.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 17 hours later
Brief Answer:

Explained

Detailed Answer:

The alternating freezing/ burning sensation is common with peripheral neuropathy and is termed as parasthesia.

Long distance running directly is unlikely to worsen neuropathy. However, one can shorten the distance to see for symptomatic improvement over time and then set the exercise / running routine accordingly.

Activity shouldn't be restricted and strength plus flexibility enhancing exercises should be continued.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Muhammad Sareer Khalil, General & Family Physician