• question-icon

Can rabies be contracted through a glass laceration?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Yesterday morning I went outside to go to work and noticed the trash bags that I placed outside the night before had been ripped open by some sort of animal. There are raccoon's and other wild animals in my neighborhood as I've seen my neighbor trap quite a few (I've also seen them roaming around at night). Before I left, I cleaned up the mess the animal made and bagged it back up. In the process, I nicked my finger on a piece of glass that was inside the ripped bag (I'm assuming it was glass since I broke a light a couple days ago). The XXXXXXX on my finger was very small with a minor drop of blood (it's pretty much healed already). I'm concerned about the possibility of rabies here. I've read online that saliva from an infected animal could get into an open wound and cause infection. If a rabid animal ripped open the bag, could this be a possibility here? I saw my doctor yesterday and she told me in this case I have nothing to worry about. She said she wouldn't even give it a thought. Would you agree or should I proceed further with this?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

Your concern is appreciated.

Its highly unlikely in my thinking. First of all you have to consider the possiblity of rabid racoons etc because not all the animals are having the virus then the possiblity of that rabid animal tearing the bag and not any other thing then the possiblity of the glass being some how infected with the saliva of that animal and then the possiblity of the same glass hurting you. So if we calculate the possiblity its highly unlikely other thing is we dont have documented statistically significant rabies transmission like that. So its very unlikely. Your doctor is right you should not be concerned about that.

Hope it helps
Thanks.

Dr M.S Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Thank you for the response. So in this case, I can avoid the rabies PEP vaccine then?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes, in my view there is no need.

thanks

Dr M.S Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil