• question-icon

Can polycythemia cause elevated blood pressure?

Posted on Wed, 21 Dec 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: About 10 days ago i started having dizzy spells , as i do workout frequently i thought i needed some sugar but the problem fidnt stop . The next day everytime i would yawn or take a deep breath i would get light headed and dizzy . I decided to donate blood thinking my iron level was high and it was a 57 . The next morning i wake up really dizzy and out of my mind , end up going to the Er and my hemoglobin was a 20 the day after donating and my blood pressure was 180/154 . It did come down at the hospital within normal range . So they run all kinds of tests etc and all checks out fine . Just told me i needed to donate more blood and gave me a temporary blood pressure med Lisenpriol 10mg .. Following Monday i follow up with primary doctor and he runs some more test and told me to quit taking the blood pressure medicine because it was making me feel bad .. So i donate again yesterday and has me donating a few more times this week as well . My question is would this thick blood cause my blood pressure and heart rate to elevate ? And within the last few weeks i have had zero sexual drive . Last few times having sex i could not get completely hard or finish .. And the last 4-5 days i have had zero erectile function .. Could this be a result from the thick blood ? Im also on Armour thyroid ..
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes polycythemia can cause elevated blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Polycythemia, or excess red cell in blood can cause high blood pressure and sometimes high heart rate as well. It can also cause other cardiovascular problems like stroke and heart attack.

So reducing the hemoglobin by donating blood and giving aspirin to reduce chances of blood clot are usually done.

Erectile dysfunction is also possible in this, due to vascular problems, though commonly priaprism, ie a persistently or inappropriately engorged penis occurs. Sexual drive is usually unaltered but it may be due to stress.

With ongoing treatment, these should improve.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist