Can medical marijuana help pulmonary fibrosis patient?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Dec 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Can medical marijuana help a pulmonary fibrosis patient?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to avoid its use.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for your question on HCM.

In our pulmonology textbooks, it is clearly written as "No role of medical cannabis (marijuana) for pulmonary fibrosis".
So it is not used for fibrosis,neither it is recommended nor it is US FDA approved for use in pulmonary fibrosis.
Recently PERFINODONE (anti TNF alpha ) has been approved by US FDA for early fibrosis. So you can use this drug instead of marijuana.
You can also start N-Acetyl Cysteine. It is anti inflammatory, anti oxidant and mucolytic in nature.
Continue oxygen at home.

Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari