Can high blood pressure be an adverse effect of turmeric?

Cardiologist
Question
My blood pressure has been very high today 180/82 am on blood pressure meds recently started taking turmeric with curcumin900 mg could this cause it?
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that high blood pressure is not a known adverse effect of turmeric. From the other hand, it does not interact with any anti-hypertensive drugs.

Anyway an isolated episode of high blood pressure does not indicate uncontrolled high blood pressure.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values frequently during the day in the next days. If high blood pressure values persist, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests to investigate for possible secondary causes of high blood pressure:

- a resting ECG
- chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels
- fasting glucose
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and liver function tests
- PCR, ESR for inflammation.

In such case some changes in your anti-hypertensive therapy may be needed.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri