Can high blood pressure be an adverse effect of turmeric?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood pressure has been very high today 180/82 am on blood pressure meds recently started taking turmeric with curcumin900 mg could this cause it?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that high blood pressure is not a known adverse effect of turmeric. From the other hand, it does not interact with any anti-hypertensive drugs.

Anyway an isolated episode of high blood pressure does not indicate uncontrolled high blood pressure.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values frequently during the day in the next days. If high blood pressure values persist, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests to investigate for possible secondary causes of high blood pressure:

- a resting ECG
- chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels
- fasting glucose
- blood electrolytes
- kidney and liver function tests
- PCR, ESR for inflammation.

In such case some changes in your anti-hypertensive therapy may be needed.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri