Can gallstones effect libido and impotency?

Question
My 59 yo partner recently (within two weeks) had gallstones requiring and endoscopy to remove three stones. He developed pancreatitis as a result of the procedure. Prior to the gallbladder attack he was experiencing erection issues, achieving and maintaining and erection. He needs to have the gallbladder removed in about 4 weeks through laparoscopic cholecystectomy. There has been some issues with erections on his part a few months prior to this episode as well. What are the timeframe and expectations for a returning libido after this type of illness and can the illness itself be a cause of the impotence (prior to the gallbladder attack and since the procedure)? Could the erection issues prior to the attack been caused by the onset of the gallstone episode?
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stress/anxiety due to gallstones issue...

Detailed Answer:

Erection is being affected by many factors, including stress, anxiety or other organic problems.

In your partner's case, as he is having gallstones, he might be also stressed out and get in pain due to this problem. I believe he is taking any drug for gallstones? Can you report if any and the name?

I am sure after the surgery and when the symptoms will get improved, his erection problems will subside too.

Meanwhile, let him relax and get prepared for the surgery first! Do not force things for him.

Wish everything will be ok with his surgery!
Dr.Albana

Follow-up: Can gallstones effect libido and impotency? 4 hours later
Dr. Albana,

Thank you for your reply. He does seem to be feeling better. He is taking oxycodone as needed for discomfort but has reduced that significantly. He will be returning to work tomorrow and waiting for the gallbladder removal surgery to be scheduled. I was wondering if the issues with impotence prior to the gallbladder episode and gallbladder symptoms might be related?

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gallbladder episode caused erectile problems...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I am happy that he is feeling better now and will return to work tomorrow.

As mentioned earlier, the gallbladder episode has caused stress and pain to him. This has altered his psychological status leading to erectile problems.

Once the stress source will be removed, he will be more relaxed and his erectile problems will be resolved. If it will persist months after surgery, should look for other causes too including diabetes or other local (penile) problems.

But, first, wait until surgery is done.
All the best!
Dr.Albana