Can diabetes cause hyperhidrosis?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Diabetes
Question: I am an insulin dependent diabetic. Male, 52, 220lbs, 18% body fat, low-carb diet and daily exercise. The slightest exertion and meals make me sweat excessively
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cardaic testing + Autonomic nervous system testing

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern. In view of the excess sweating on minimal exertion and on eating meals, you need to get an ECG and possibly a stress test (TMT) as well. This is to rule out heart disease as a possibility. Apart from this, another reason for your symptom is diabetic autonomic neuropathy which cause sweating while eating ( gustatory sweating) or even at rest. You may also need an autonomic function test.
Please discuss with your doctor.
Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 22 minutes later
Thanks. Your mention of possible CV issues reminds me that I appear to have acid reflux for the past month, which is new. But what is the nature of an autonomic function test, please?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Autonomic testing

Detailed Answer:
autonomic function test is complex and tests the competency of your autonomous nervous system ( sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves). These nerves control important functions like heart rate, sweating etc. Some of the tests are simple and can be done at bedside like pulse variability on deep breathing. However, there are more complex and sophisticated machines available to tests autonomic nervous system. Usually these tests are done by neurologist /neuro technician in a neurology lab.