Can colitis cause constipation?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: can colitis cause constipation
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
You are asking if colitis can cause constipation.

Yes , colitis can be associated with constipation.
This is why in such cases liquid diet is recommended.
Otherwise I need to know more about your symptoms to give a more accurate opinion.

Wish you health!
Dr.Klerida

Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
I was diagnosed with colitis on January 3rd I had symptoms of constipation and I have lower left pain in my back and on my flank and in the front by the groin area but still more on the left when they did the CT Scan they saw the inflammation of the colon and gave me two antibiotics to have the inflammation go down it helps with inflammation going down but I still have the flank pain and the lower back pain and when I sit in my car with my legs bent certain way up into my stomach little bit it feels like I have an air pocket or bubble or something like that on that left side
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
At this situation I would suggest to do colonoscopy to better evaluate large bowel.
It is important to do blood work and C-protein reactive time determine the inflammation.
Meantime you can use antispasmodic drugs and probiotics to help improving your symptoms.

Wish you health!
Dr.Klerida