Can braces cause changes in the shape of the forehead?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Can braces for your teeth cause flattening or change in shape of the forehead (forehead bone structure) or flattening or change in shape of bone structure of back of head?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No they dont

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Orthodontic treatment with braces does not alter the shape of forehead or nose.
Orthodontic treatment has a dramatic effect on lips ,chin and tmj ie the temporomandibular joint.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 days later
So can braces cause directly or indirectly flattening of forehead or cheeks or other areas of face?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
No it doesnt

Detailed Answer:
Braces don't cause any changes in bone growth as it mostly moves the teeth
However if extra oral appliances are used than it can do so.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 6 hours later
So braces do not cause any changes to bone structure of forehead or cheeks such as flattening? Can braces cause mandible or maxilla to swing back and down?

Can braces also cause forehead to move back, down or in any other direction?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Well yes mandible and maxilla can be brought back but braces treatment should be accompanied with elastics plus serial extraction.

Forehead can't be moved with braces.
It can be moved with head gear or extra oral appliances.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 51 minutes later
If mandible and maxilla were moved back with braces can maxilla and mandible be brought forward? Can maxilla and mandible be brought forward with braces? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Do you mean to ask whether they can be realigned once again ?
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
If maxilla and mandible were brought back, can they be brought forward? Also, can braces indirectly or directly cause forehead to flatten or move? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes they can be brought forward.

No flattening of forehead doesn't occur.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 11 hours later
So if braces caused mandible and maxilla to move back and down, this in turn doesn’t have any effect on forehead such as moving forehead (down and/or back or in any direction) or flattening forehead? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Yes, it doesn't contribute to flattening of the forehead. The effect is visual at best if the maxilla or mandible is brought forward, it appears that the forehead is suppressed but in reality there is no flattening.

Thanks