Had TMJ issues, mastoid protruding, has fluid following accident. Advised as tendonitis. What could it be?

my daughter was in car accident ( 5 months )and suffered whiplash with resultant significant TMJ problems and occipital pain she has no fever nor had any ear pain but the mastoid process had been tender and now is protruding slightly and feels like it may have some fluid. The TMJ specialist thinks its tendonitis as opposed to mastoiditis. Our GP does not no much about either can you tell me a bit?
Mon, 13 May 2013