Ask a Dentist   »  

Can massage therapy reduce jaw popping?

Question
I've had TMJ problems for about four years. I've never experienced any pain, nor reduction of jaw movement. The only thing that would happen is my jaw would get caught and I'd have to pop it back into place. This happened so often that I was popping my jaw pretty often throughout the day, and the pop was very loud. As of two weeks ago, I decided to get massage therapy done, and decided I needed to stop trying to pop my jaw so much. As the days went by, I noticed that my jaw wasn't getting stuck as much anymore, but anytime it did it would really irritate it and I would actually feel some type of inflammation now. The pop itself even became just a tiny click, nowhere near as loud as before. I've been pretty consistent with my massages since they have helped, but why is it that my jaw feels tighter now, feels like it gets tired easier, when it's not getting stuck as often? And I know many people say TMD has nothing to do with dizziness but I beg to differ. Anytime my jaw gets even just stuck now, I immediately feel a change in my organism. Not only do I feel the irritation on my jaw but my head feels as though I get almost like a tunnel vision, like a light-headed feeling, headaches, sometimes vertigo is accompanied, but feeling "spacey" is a definite. Could this be due to the TMJ inflammation irritating the nerves near the ear??? This has been affecting my every day for the past week. One doctor said I didn't require surgery since I dont have limited range of movement, but what could be the cause of all this chaos? And what can I do about this? I am going crazy, I am desperate for relief..
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like TMD, follow these measures, consult oral surgeon for TMJ View.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting Healthcare magic.
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query.

I have read your query and understand your concern. As fas as headache, sometime vertigo, inflammation in ear region is concerned this can be due to Temporomandibular joint disorder.
For this i will suggest you to consult oral surgeon for clinical examination and investigation radiograph like TMJ sectional view to confirm the diagnosis.
In meantime i will suggest you few measures :
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush you teeth twice daily.
-Do warm saline rinses.
- Do hot formentation of TMJ region.
-Avoid wide opening of mouth.
-Take soft diet.
-Apply ointment containing diclofenac gel on painful region of jaw.
- For pain you can take medicine like Flexon MR or Myospaz Forte (muscle relaxtant) by consulting with local doctor.
- consult oral surgeon for TENS therapy.

Hope this will help you.
If you have further query i will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Can massage therapy reduce jaw popping? 2 days later
Another thing thats been happening to me also which has been ongoing for a month, is that anytime I squint my eyes, the left side of my bottom lip starts twitching. Could this have something to do with tight muscles associated with TMD? Or tight muscles pressing on a nerve?? My TMJ problems are on my right side and I have also noticed that the more flared up my jaw is, the more aggressive the twitching on my lip. Any idea?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below .Nothing to be worried. Couldn't be associated with TMD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome again.

I have read your query and understand your concern. As far as twitching of lip is concerned this can be due be attributed to inadequate hydration status & electrolyte imbalance of the body or dietary deficiencies of certain nutrients like Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B 12, Folic acid, etc. which help in blood formation & nerve conduction.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet.

If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like fresh estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels, Thyroid profile & nerve conduction studies to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms. There is no need to worry, it couldn't be associated with TMD. You will be fine.

Hope this will help you.