Owl Image

Can cardiac issues cause muscle spasms in the upper sternum?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
This is for de Sharka so I have had my allergies tested waiting for my appt with a gastrologist but I am trying to see if I should ask for a refer to a cardiologist again I have had on and off a muscle like spasm in my upper sturnum bbetwern the collar bone and the breasts does not hurt or no tighenibg if the chest no shortness of breath but was wondering if this can be cardiac related or perhaps angina again my chest is sore th the touch as usual and I do have that slight feeling in my throat that I have been told could be related to reflux any suggestions should I request for more cardiac tests or perhaps chest X-ray
Tue, 8 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to worry about your heart!

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I am glad to hear from you again on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that the symptoms that you describe are typical of a musculo-skeletal pain or local inflammation in this area.

As, I have explained before, we can not touch the heart.

So, the chest pain which is sore to touch is not related to any cardiac issues. It is just related to the muscles, tendines and bones of the chest wall.

So, you have nothing to worry about!

I would not recommend performing any additional cardiac tests for this issue, as I am sure that they will result normal.

A chest X ray study would be OK, as it helps examine the chest tissues and lungs.

The slight feeling in your throat could be related to reflux, as it usually irritates the mucosa of this region.

But, as a cardiologist, I would like to reassure you that your complaints are not related to your heart.

So, just relax and don't worry about it!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can cardiac issues cause muscle spasms in the upper sternum? 3 hours later
Hello thank u right now the pain is in the right side upper inner sturnum a sharp pain will come and go I would have to mesage it away in the same spot no breathing issues

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

It seems to be a musculo-skeletal pain.

I recommend taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

There is nothing to worry about!

Just relax and don't think about it!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can cardiac issues cause muscle spasms in the upper sternum? 10 minutes later
Thank u as long as it is not cardiac related so I can continue to be active and workout and have relations with my husband

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need for any limitations.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, dear!

There is no need for any limitation to your daily physical activity.

I would just recommend avoiding straining physical activity, as it may trigger muscle pain.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can cardiac issues cause muscle spasms in the upper sternum? 11 minutes later
Thank you so no upper body workout re strength training also mesage and physio ok

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, massage and physio can help improve your situation.

Warm pack can help too.

Let me know about everything!

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can cardiac issues cause muscle spasms in the upper sternum? 2 days later
Hello
I was wondering as well I seem to have like sharp pain and ache right in front of my ears more on one side if I press it and ache if I don’t this started tonight I do seem to suffer from tmj I am wondering if this is a sign of cardiac issue or more to do with tmj

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are not suggestive of any cardiac disorders.

You are right to think about your tmj, as it seems to be the main cause of your complaints.

It seems to be a muscle spasm in this region (temporal muscle) which originates (is inserted) near the tmj.

That is why inflammation or dysfunction of TMJ, may lead to such pain in this region.

But, there is nothing to worry about your heart!

Ibuprofen can help improve the pain.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal at any time!

Dr. Iliri

Hello
I have uploaded my ecg they told me it was good just I was having anxiety so my heart rate was high I had a muscle like spasm middle of sturnum and I thought I would go to emergent to get check they said based on my work up done in the end of July and blood work and ecg from sept this was not cardiac but indeed muscle intercostal spasm as I have been doing more than usual lifting and moving due to the holidays just wanted your quick opinion if I should be worried there is non spacific st wave but I have always had this your opinion if I should persue other cardiac

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Theresa!

I reviewed your uploaded ECG report and would explain that there are some suspicious ST segment depression in infero-lateral leads(DII, DII, aVF, V4-V6).

Though this has been your usual ECG pattern, and your chest discomfort appears nonspecific for any cardiac related issues on my personal opinion I would suggest two additional tests:

- a nuclear perfusional cardiac stress test (for revealing potential ischemic myocardial areas),
- pulmonary angio CT (in order to exclude possible pulmonary embolism, though you don't refer actual breathing issues),

This investigation approach would definitely exclude with a high confidence serious cardiopulmonary issues.

You should discuss with your attending doctor on the above mentioned diagnostic work up.

Best regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can cardiac issues cause muscle spasms in the upper sternum? 29 minutes later
Hi
I had s ct for pe done in July itbxsme back normal should I ask for another one and I had s echo stress test done in July should I ask for another one and can I wait till Tuesday or am I in danger

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I don't think that you are in danger.

So, there is no emergency in performing the above mentioned tests.

Anyway, you should know that a ventilation-perfusion lung CT scan is a more specific and sensitive test for detecting pulmonary embolism, compared to chest CT scan or angio CT scan.

From the other hand the nuclear perfusional cardiac stress test is a more sensitive and specific test to investigate for possible coronary artery disease, compared to the exercise cardiac stress test.

For this reason, performing the above tests would help reassure that nothing serious is going on.

But, it can wait until Tuesday to discuss about these issues with your physician. There is no need to go to the ER.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal whenever you have any other questions!

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can cardiac issues cause muscle spasms in the upper sternum? 7 minutes later
Him can you tell me how these tests are performed and if they are dangerous

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

These tests, may impose you to a certain risk for radiation, but there are no lifethreatening risks.

So, unless you do not want to take the risk of radiation, there is nothing to worry about.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Let me know about everything!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri