Can anxiety cause cold hands and feet?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 17 Oct 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Can anxiety cause physical symptoms? Specifically circulation type issues. intermittent cold hands and feet, slow capillary refill time, purple feet when standing....

I have been to several Drs and all have told me that physically they can't find anything wrong with me and I had a. Dr suggest it was stress/anxiety related.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Anxiety absolutely causes many physical symptoms. Anxiety results from hyperactivation of the limbic system in the brain, which triggers hormonal changes resulting in physical symptoms. These include headache, dizziness, palpitations, circulatory changes, tingling in the extremities, redirection of blood flow, shortness of breath, muscle tension, nausea, and other symptoms. What you describe is consistent with somatic symptoms of anxiety. I would seek treatment with an SSRI antidepressant such as escitalopram, which can significantly help anxiety over time.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 29 minutes later
thank you Dr.

with that being said, what would you recommend I do to start to unwind this mess. my sore muscles are maddening. I am an electrician and I work physically. I typically average 10,000 steps a day and I am struggling physically at this point.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I would begin by getting assessed by a psychiatrist to begin an SSRI antidepressant such as escitalopram or sertraline. This will not impact your work. As for sore muscles, over the counter ibuprofen or massage therapy might be helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
do you have any recommendations for a good clinic/Dr in Chicago? unfortunately you are in New York
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I would call your insurance company to obtain a list of in-network providers in your area.