• question-icon

How can stiffness of the knee after a total knee arthroplasty be treated?

Posted on Thu, 1 Jun 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I had total knee replacement surgery on 3/8/17. Did physical therapy, had to have knee manipulation under anesthesia on 5-5-17, saw my dr yesterday, and the knee is once again not straight. My dr showed me pictures he took where my leg looked straight after procedure. Going back to physical therapy next week and also doing some exercises on my own in the meantime, my dr said there's a possibility that a mua may need to be performed again. Please give me your input, don't know what to do, been out from work from my job for 9 weeks and nothing seems to work. Please give suggestions. Thank you, maggie
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acupuncture has proven effects in knee osteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. You can go for the MUA as suggested by the doctor. But more importantly I would insist you to try acupuncture. There have been randomized placebo controlled studies (the studies of highest category of today's date) that have demonstrated the efficacy of acupuncture in knee osteoarthritis. Further studies have demonstrated that acupuncture depresses the limbic system, the part of brain responsible for the pain sensation. I would insist you to try it. Hopefully you will see benefits.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha