• question-icon

Can antidepressants help treat neuropathic pain?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I had artifical disc replacement; disc 4-7 in November 2016. I went to my post op apts stating something was not right, my pain was out of control. They referred me to a pain specialist in which I began treatment for my faucet joints. After those procedures I am still not doing well. Bowel changes, persistent cough, extreme/chronic back and neck pain and just not feeling well. Started PT last week but not feeling much of a difference. Pain doctor prescribed an antidepressant, in which I am not taking, I am not depressed, I am in severe pain and not sure what to do now.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antidepressants are used for neuropathic pain and not depression!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

The medications for depression are also used to treat nerve related pain. If classical pain medications have not helped, it is certainly a good idea to start medications for neuropathic pain. Antidepressants serve in this capacity and shouldn’t be mistaken to think they are actually intended to treat depression. I strongly recommend you take them as recommended. Also, report the exact drug and dosage to me for more insights and guidance.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Chobufo Ditah