Can an insect bite lead to vision impairment, confusion and facial swelling?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 8 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Appears to be a bite on the forehead. Has developed in vision impairment, swelling of the face and some memory confusion. Happened over a period of about 3 days.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infection to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

An infection caused by the bite should be taken in consideration and evaluated further.

In rare cases, insect bites may transmit viral infections that may affect skin and underneath the skin, but also may spread to other tissues and organs.

Since there are vision issues and confusion, encephalitis is suspected and further evaluation by the primary care Doctor, blood tests together with imaging studies (CT-scan and or MRI Brain) are necessary to confirm, treat, or even to exclude this serious condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee