Can adverse effects of NSAIDS be reversed?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can damage done by nsaids be reversed (such as hardening of the arteries)?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some effect can be reversal and some not- please see more in detail

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

NSAIDS do cause cardiovascular effects and there are several ways they do so. Some of them can be reversed with discontinuation of the drug like the effect in the blood pressure, in the platelets, in the electrolytes etc but some might not reverse after their discontinuation like changes in the myocardial vessels (vessels of the heart muscle) and if they have worsened a heart failure )they do not necessarily cause heart failure themselves but can add to the factors that might worsen it.
It is not clear from the literature yet how much of those effects can be reversed, still studies have to be made to show this even more clear but the above is a summary of what is already known.

To help with the cardiovascular effects there are other measures to consider also: blood pressure, sugar levels and lipids. Kidney function is important also. These are factors that can worsen the hardening of the arteries (artherosclerosis) and is very crucial to have good control of them also. it is recommended to have checks of fasting sugar, lipids, blood pressure, creatinine check regularly (every 1-2 years) and also if you smoke it is crucial to quit as it is one of the strongest factors that hardens the vessels.

i hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply if more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D