Can abdominal pain be a symptom of stomach cancer?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi there, I have been having problems with my abdomen lately its very sore and I have been having sharp pains all over it on the left and right side it seems to be worse on the left rather then the right but it can go right down to my lower abdomen and also around to my lower back on both sides. it also feels tender under my rib cage from time to time and my chest feels tight too. It gets worse after I eat. This has been happening for a month now all over however when I was a bit younger I had a problem where I would get sharp pains only my left but that seemed to go away now its come back and its sore all over. I am getting an ultra sounds this week but I'm very worried its something very serious like stomach cancer. Id just like some more advice on what it could be and if its possible to have cancer in my stomach or other organs being only 23.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Most likely gastric or duodenal ulcer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. The commonest cause of pain in the left upper abdomen after food is gastric or duodenal ulcer. Ultrasound scan picks up problems with liver, spleen, pancreas, gall bladder and kidneys for other possible causes of your pain. Ultrasound scan is not an optimum investigation to evaluate gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer. You must get an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy to evaluate the stomach and duodenum for ulcers. It is a simple office procedure and is done by a gastroenterologist. Even your suspicion of stomach growth/ cancer will be ruled out by endoscopy. It is best that you get both, ultrasound scan abdomen and endoscopy done for complete evaluation. If gastric or duodenal ulcer is confirmed you must take small feeds at regular intervals and stop taking spices for sometime, in addition to taking medications. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek