Can a p24 antigen assay test rule out HIV?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Thanks Dr for the mail and follow up

I am really doing good but some time anxiety trigger which is not like how it was occupied whole my day ..

I knew it's no risk activity and also u confirmed too but guilty was playing all.

Sorry to tell you due to my panic attach again I went to one more HIV 1&2 and p24 test on exactly 45th day where it was non reactive as expected but this time index value was 0.12 as you told I should not worry about this values.. Yes Dr taken the test again bec people who connected with me.. I really would like to have one audio consultantion with you but I think there is no option available in this app but let me know

In fact ,I came to know about you through Poz forum where in one post XXXXXXX guy mentioned about you.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are free from HIV 1 infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.
The range in the Index value of any test is not important. It does not reflect the exact activity of the body.
Whether the value is below the cut off for the test or above the cut off mark. That is the thing we need to note.
Repeating the test is waste of money. Not to worry.If you want to have further test, then you can have it after 12 weeks after the risky activity which can rule out the rarest possibility of HIV 2 infection also.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 9 hours later
thanks Dr for the replay.
I am almost came out from this incident but I did read enough /more than enough information in internet whisk sometime attack me mentally. I am not willing to further test and whenever I fell something I read ur post and calm down. thanks for supporting Dr. I would like to have one audio consultantion with u but don't know how I can connect. may be 10 min call. thanks Dr
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are safe.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Not to worry. You are quite safe.
Usually I don't encourage anybody to have consultation over phone.
I feel it is wasting of time.
What you want to convey may differ what I understood. So guidance will not be appropriate. If you want to meet me, come to XXXXXXX Tamilnadu, XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
OK doctor and understood. even I belongs to Tamil Nadu but now live in other state so thought to talk in Tamil where I can explain clearly. as you said , voice call might not workout for you so I cannot ask/request more ..final question about please excuse me as same question again and again asking.. NO test required more ?and can i have unprotected sex with my wife??with out thinking anything about that encounter ..this will be my final question and thanks for your support all over the time and you are really helping many people Dr.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of HIV 2 is less than 0.5%. That too with fingering still less.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
As a doctor, I will advise you to wait for 12 weeks and repeat another test to rule out rarest and remote possibility of HIV2 (practically very much unlikely), before resuming sexual relationship with your wife. Practically I can advise you to proceed, but theoretically we had not ruled out HIV 2.Till then you can have a protected exposure with your wife. Hope you would have understood.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 24 minutes later
yes Dr got it and little scared now. in our last conversation u said no further test required and move on ur normal life but now u r recommending me to go 12 week test because of my last test index value increased or putting my mind peace or explore that theoretical part. please clarify doctor.. thanks
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your HIV 2 risk still remains very negligible only.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Index value has nothing to do with.
If I will be in your position, I will not mind about this least and negligible possibility and resume my sexual life.
But as doctor, I can just advise you to wait till the completion of 12 weeks, as a theoretical possibility is there.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T