Can Seroquel cause vitamin deficiency?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I AM AN EXISTING CUSTOMER AND PAY MY MONTHLY FEE OF £15.00 FOR A DOCTORS ADVICE ON YOUR WEBSITE.
.My son takes .Seroquel (Quietapmine)
.A professional on line Doctor says that this drug actually depletes:
Vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B12, biotin, folic acid, carnitine, inositol, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin K, and calcium. causing a deficiancy in the body's balance.
Before I ask you a question,please dont be offended but if you dont already know about this deficiency through taking Seroquel, please can you kindly research it first before getting back to me or pass me on to another Doctor who does know..
Now my question:- Would a standard blood tests reveal the above mentioned deficiencies in the body,, or would it have to be a specialised blood test to find this out.
Either way please can you advise me. Especially on the type of blood test that may be required.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

These deficiencies are very, very, very unlikely to be caused by Seroquel. It is more likely that your son suffers cardiac arrest (less than 1% chance) than experience any of these vitamin deficiencies. So I wouldn't worry about these.

It is possible to check any of these levels in the body by ordering separate specific blood tests for each of them (i.e. B12 level, folate level, Vitamin D level), but this is expensive and very likely unnecessary.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 hours later
What are standard blood tests for (which is what he has had) if not for vitamin deficiency
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Standard blood tests usually refer to a blood count and metabolic panel, which do not cover the several tests I mentioned above.