Can Ramipril and Metropolol be taken together?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is it safe to take 2.5 mg of ramipril with 25 mg of metropolol?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
I would like to know following before i can help you my best:
1. What are your blood pressure readings?
2. What medicines were you taking earlier and why your doctor has suggested to change them?
3. What is your resting pulse rate?
4. Have you got your kidney function tests? If yes, share the report.

As such there is no contraindication of using both these drugs together provided you have normal Kidney Functions and your Blood pressure demands two drugs.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me and answer these questions preferably in point wise manner.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 minutes later
Dear Dr. Varshney,

Thank you for your reply.

1. My blood pressure has been running 130/77

2. I have been taking metropolol and ramiprio. The doctor has concerns as to long term use of rampril and kidney damage. I have been on rampiril for 2 years. My former cardiologist made a mistake and kept me on a high dose of metroprol (75mg) and when my internist recommended to lower and ween me off she said it would be better to keep the higher dosage and thus damage was created to my heart. I am very active and my heart was overworked due to the high dosage of the metropolol. That is why my new physician is concerned about the metropolol. If that makes sense to you?

3. Resting heart rate averages 75 bpm

4. I don't have the results of recent kidney reports. However, there has not been any concern except as a preventative so there are not future problems.

I hope I was able to give you the majority of the information that you require?

Sincerely,
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Ramipril and Metoprolol both don't damage kidneys. What damages kidney is your blood pressure.
In fact both of these drugs prevents cardiac remodeling and so are helpful in keeping your heart healthy.
As far as using Metoroprolo 75 mg is concerned, the dose depends on your BP and heart rate.
Your Blood pressure is well controlled on the current medications. I don't find any need to unnecessarily change the drugs. If your kidney functions come out to be absolutely normal then there is no point in changing the medicines.
I would recommend you to continue with the same.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.