Can RLS symptoms cause chronic pain in the upper-limbs?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I can't sleep lately and am feeling tortured by RLS but now it's moved to my arms and chest and feels like frayed nerves. It is like being tortured. Exhausted but can't sleep!!!! Whats wrong with me???
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Some more details

Detailed Answer:

Though RLS can involve upper limbs as well, however, I need to know some more details in order to answer your concerns-Do you have any addictions? Any other medical illness/diseases?

Further, I would like to add that these are not the symptoms of carotid artery blockage. Please also mention the dose of ropinirole and other medicines you are taking.

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Ropinerole 0.25 mg tablet. Take one by mouth 1 to 3 hours before bedtime. Lisinopril 20 mg-Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg. Take 2 tablets by mouth daily. Citalipram 40mg.One by mouth daily. Methadone 5 mg.take 1 to 2 tablets by mouth every 8 hours. Slow taper. Qty. 105 a month. I take 3 to 4 at a time with over counter Naproysyn. This is my daily meds and I take doterra vitamins. Last week was the first time I tried cannabis candy, low potency. Its not helping either. This is the worse thing I've experienced ! A doctor diagnosed me with EDS years ago but the mildestform. I have osteoarthritis in most of my joints. Back,neck, knees,hands,feet and ankles also my elbows pop when stretched. I've dealt with chronic pain for years but always could sleep before and required about 9 to 10 hours. Now it is a tortured night every night for about a week non-stop. Before RLS was here and there. Its my hyper awareness of an I'll at ease feeling in my upper body that is so hard to explain the feeling but it prevents sleep and I can't relax. Is it my mind??? I think I will go insane if this continues. No addictions unless you count weaning off methadone. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Whats wrong with me and is there anything that will help?

I forgot to mention fibromyalgia. I think I have that too. Is that significant?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 33 hours later
Brief Answer:

Dose increase in Ropinirole/add on drugs/Hemogram

Detailed Answer:

In view of your clinical presentation, the dose of Ropinirole can be further increased and add-on clonazepam may help.You can discuss the same with your treating neurologist.

Further, you need to be checked for the presence of anemia and if present, it should be treated as the presence of anemia worsens RLS.

Lastly but not the least, maintaining a good sleep hygiene is of paramount importance in RLS.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ajay Panwar, Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana