• question-icon

Can Ornidazole be taken life long for IBS?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my mon has irritable bowel syndrome and doctor has advised ornidazol 1 tab till the symptoms goes down . it goes down after 10-15 dosage but it comes up once she stops after 3-5 days . now for 2nd time she started again ornidazole and again it is getting better .
is it ok to take ornidazole life long ?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Irritable bowel syndrome can be very bothersome. And compliance to medications is necessary. You should know that its not treatable. We can only manage it with medicines for flares and diet and lifestyle modifications for the rest of our lives.

Ornidazole is just an antiprotozoal medicine and does not alone cover IBS. Your doctor might be suspecting some worms infestations as anthelmintics may flare IBS. One simple does not take it for lifelong. Maximum a week or two.

But as i said IBS is a functional bowel decline and needs mostly diet and lifestyle modifications. A good start is losing weight, eating small frequent meals, avoiding spices, alcohol, beverages, coffee, processed and canned foods, fatty foods, dairy products etc. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables, preferring more fibers and fluids and taking yogurt and peppermint as diet supplements to every meal. Former is best probiotic and later is good antispasmodic. Good regular exercise and should sleep will help the bowel symptoms.

I hope it helps. take good care of your mother and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan