Can NSAIDS or TUMS cause GERD symptoms?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband has dx of familial amyloidosis which is currently dormant. He also has GERD of which he is not treated well because he cannot tolerate the medications. He takes TUMS/Gaviscon He is on diflusinal(old NSAID) which is the only approved treatment for the amyloidosis presently. Currently, he is experiencing increased GERD symptoms which is exacerbated when he gets up out of bed and expressing becoming very dizzy, nausea, abdominal pain, bloating and bad headache which is becoming progressively worse over past month. When he is lying down, he states he feels better He stopped the Diflusinal 2 days ago, and has been taken Tylenol twice daily to ease the headaches. I'm concerned he has had complications from the NSAID or even taking TuMs to ease Gerd symptoms but more worried about the headaches and dizziness. He reports no blood in stools (GI Bleed). Any insight?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
NSAIDs cannot be taken regularly if reflux is to be controlled

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I need to ask you for the exact symptoms of amyloidosis that he has. NSAIDs are gastric irritants and therefore are a direct cause of the GERD. Please let me know what sort of relief he gets or expects from the NSAID. Paracetamol can be used for the relief from headache.

I would request you to elaborate.